Skip to main content

Mini Quilts and More

Here is what I have been up to since my last post.

I was chosen as a pattern tester for Clobird Designs. What a fun experience although I will admit my bag did not turn out as well as I hoped for. There was a revision to the pattern that I missed that made a huge difference in the finished product. Live and learn. It is a great pattern however. I made the Serena version with the thinner strap.

Serena Front

Serena Back Pocket

Serena Interior

I quilted a top for my mom. This Florida Gators quilt was a gift to my Uncle Bill.


I have also been having a blast with raw edge batik applique work. For the September Doll Quilt swap, our theme was Halloween. This little one is 12" x 12" in size.

"CK on a Pumpkin"

Quilt Back

Here is the quilt I received from Lisa in the exchange. Another black cat!

Lisa' Quilt and Goodies

My sister and I also make tea towel aprons. Quick and easy!






And finally, a new addition to my sewing machine collection! I think this is from the late 50's, early 60's. It is a Japanese machine and is heavy as all get out!

  My new Sewmor


Comments

Popular Posts

Pincushion with Thread Catcher Bag

I have been wanting to make my own pincushion and thread catcher bag for a while now. My mom gave me one awhile back but I have seem to have lost it in moving. The patterns I saw online just weren't what I wanted so it was time to come up with my own. I used the pattern posted at Sew Mama Sew! as my starting point. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was close. I didn't need the organizer part nor that large of a pincushion. I did like how the bag was removable however. On the other hand, I wanted the "cuff" of the bag to be on the outside so it would make it easier to empty the bag. I didn't want threads getting caught under the "lip" of the fabric. With some modifications, here is what I came up with. The only piece that I ended up purchasing was the button. Everything else was scraps I had on hand or found around the house. I probably could have found an old button but I saw this one at my local quilt shop and thought it would be perfec

A New Dust Cover For My Handi Quilter Machine

I have been using a sheet as a dust cover on my Handi Quilter HQ16 longarm machine. Not pretty, but it did the job. The other day I was shopping at my local quilt store and she had a bolt of fabric that called to me and said, "Hey! I would make a great cover for your longarm machine." The fabric pattern is called Laugh Love Quilt by Amy Hamberlin for Henry Glass Fabrics. I knew there was a free download pattern on the Handi Quilt website so I checked to see how much yardage I would need before leaving the store. The pattern is for their Avante 18 (they also include info for the Fusion 24). They also include a pattern size if your machine has the Prostitcher--mine does not. The HQ instructions are really brief and not very informative. There are not many pictures of completed covers to give an idea on what the finished product is like. I found a couple of blog posts for the sit down version covers that were somewhat helpful. Otherwise I would be on my own. I would nee

Sweet Dreams, Little Puppies

If there is one thing you need to know about me, it is I love animals. I am a supporter of several animal rescues including the Idaho Animal Rescue Network. I recently started making doggy beds for them out of old pillowcases stuffed with fabric and batting scraps. It's great in that they supply the scrap batting. The founder of IARN has a family member that is a longarm quilter and she saves the leftover batting and fabric scraps. Perfect! Making a doggy bed is a fast and worthwhile project. First thing to do is to wash your pillowcases. Once that is done, it is time to sew! Start by turning the pillowcase inside out. We are going to box the ends to give the doggy bed a little shape. Align the side seam of the pillowcase (or the fold line if no seam) with the bottom seam (or fold line). Pull it into a point and smooth out. I used a 3" seam so I measured down 1-1/2" from the point and marked my sewing line.  Stitch twice across line, backtacking at ends. This helps